Re: [Evolution] Migrating Evolution

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 09:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 07:11 +0000, Steve T wrote:
> > As long as you copy everything while neither Evo nor Gconf are
> running
> > (see the FAQ answer) then you should be OK. The first time the new
> > version of Evo runs on the new machine it will do any required
> > conversion.
> > 
> > poc
> Patrick,
> The 'migration' in this case was from FC9 to FC12 (on separate
> laptops)
> - the 'old' Evolution settings were 'Backed Up' via the Evolution
> option
> and that file was then used in the start up routine on the new laptop
> to
> import the setting etc (there was an option to import the data and
> settings from a file).
> That all ran fine and I now have what appears to be a fully working
> Evolution running under FC12. 
> The only issues that I see so far are:
> 1) The 'search' folders seem very slow in updating the screen display.
> It takes a while (Generating Message list) moving between one folder
> and
> the next.

Is this always the case, or only when visiting a folder for the first
time? If the latter, it could be the conversion to SQL that's taking the
time (I don't know if this happens "on demand" or just once when Evo
starts up).

It's all the time - both at startup (about 5+mins to have fully processed the inbox), and then switching search folders after load can be slow. I have quite a few 'search' folders and the length of time taken to display the contents seems directly related to the complexity of the search (ie number of criteria)

> 2) The unread count in the folders is not always accurate. This seems
> to
> self correct when Evolution is closed down and restarted.

Known bug. I get it too. Very annoying. And it doesn't always go away
just by restarting Evo. Sometimes you have to unsubscribe the folder,
sometimes even disable the mail server and re-enable it.
So far it has been ok with just restarting Evolution. But it's not major for me - a bigger problame that I've noticed is that the search folders don't always honour the rules. A case in point is a search folder that I have for the 'Last 24 Hours' where the rules are sent after a day ago or received after a day ago. Under the 'new' version that has been showing mails that are weeks old (that do not appear on the 'old' version.

> I'm not reporting those two as issues per se - I'll check around over
> the next few days to see what I can find.
> PS Can you see where the 'indexes' etc are now held in mysql?

they are .db files under ~/.evolution/mail.

> And does
> that means that all the 'summary' files etc in the evolution folder
> structure are now completely redundant?

No idea I'm afraid.

BTW if indexing seems slow you can run the following script (due to
Srini), after shutting down Evo completely (--force-shutdown):

        cd ~/.evolution/mail/
        for i in `find . -name folders.db`
                echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
                sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"

I've created a job from that. I tried it by shutting down Evolution, then running the job (it showed the 'databases' being processed) - but after restarting Evolution the speed was still the same. I'm not sure whether  the speed problem is in table structure or in the indexing/purging of the 'deleted' space.

I have just tried switching on the 'old' system to the 'worst' search folder and that comes up in a couple of seconds - in the new version, that's now in minutes.

Evolution-list mailing list
Evolution-list gnome org

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]