Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

How do you mean it would 'die horribly'?

After all, email servers store their messages in databases so they don't get corrupted.

Also, point #4 isn't bogus. Its intended to attract developers to write more tools and plugins against the data format.
Not really for users to hack their messages.

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:23 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:18 -0500, Darren Govoni wrote:
> I would design Evolution to use SQLlite

It *does*!

But it doesn't put the *messages* in SQLite; that would die horribly.

> or something like it. Firefox is going that direction in itself.
> It would buy you these lacking qualities now:
> 1) Data integrity
> 2) Fast retrieval, sorting
> 3) Ad hoc querying
> 4) Open format (can use any/many tools to manipulate)

Point#4 is, IMO, rather bogus.  The "format" may technically be Open but
if you don't intimately understand the schema / data-model it (a) may
not really be helpful to have "access" and (b) provide a nice avenue for
users to trash their data and then blame the application [loudly, and in
public, of course - with no mention of their thrashing about in the
applications internals].