Re: [Evolution] What happened to Evolution?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 15:19 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 21:04 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Le lundi 20 décembre 2010 à 09:14 -0500, Darren Govoni a écrit :
> > 1) I now get frequent "error storing folders", "error generating
> > message list"
> > 2) It's so slow. It is always "Storing folder", taking almost minutes
> > to complete. Its on average 5-8x slower
> > downloading, storing and viewing messages.
> > 3) Its very buggy. When new messages arrive, they no longer show up in
> > the folder I'm viewing.
> > I have to click another folder and click back to see them.
> > 4) For the first time ever, it corrupted my email files and I had to
> > recover from backup.
> I had these issues until I understood that the deleted messages are not
> deleted. They are simply hidden. Thus the mailboxes become huge and
> unusable. There is no automatic purge of deleted messages. This is a
> flaw in the design of Evolution.

Automatically purging messages would be an error. [IMHO the correct
solution is to *remove* the Hide-Deleted-Messages option].  You can't
make everyone happy.

> Use the purge feature. I don't remember exactly where it is hidden. I
> think it is in Folder=>Clean (or something like that).

Folder / Expunge - or - Ctrl-E

> Yes you are right. Using PostgreSQL to store the messages would make
> more sense.

That would make no sense for a local desktop application - to have to
have a database instance to store [cache] mail?
There are numerous embeddable SQL transactional databases that provide fast, reliable
and ACID properties that would greatly improve the speed and durability of something
important like email.

Since its now clear that Evolution has scaling issues, moving in this design direction should be a good thing.