Re: [Evolution] Sig placement

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 11:28 -0400, Sam Mason wrote:
On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 15:16 -0400, Sam Mason wrote:
In the case of two (or another small number) of people in limited
discussion the copy-everything mode of top-posting doesn't matter.
Efficiency concerns really don't matter most of the time here.

But it's kilobytes we're talking about; this is five decimal orders of
magnitude less than most peoples storage capacity.  The example above
seems to be about a couple orders of magnitude.

Mailing list archives seem to be about the only people it affects.
Everybody else is going to be much more worried about attachments
getting large first.  Or were you replying to bits you didn't quote?

One of my roles is sharing in Exchange administration here.  We limit
people to 500 MB on the server. We have little success in convincing
people that email data stores are not file systems or document
management systems.  So we impose a limit which, when exceeded, prevents
them from sending messages.  Let them decide how to manage their own
inboxes to stay within that limit.

Many users have >10,000 messages.  For me, the best reason to quote
bottom or interleaved, is to encourage the sender to look at what she is
quoting and trim what isn't needed. If we eliminated the thoughtless and
duplicative quoting, those same hoarders could keep at least 40,000
messages.

Which, with my poorly attributed quote, is my long winded way of saying
that eventually, even kilobytes add up, and that I know this from
personal experience.

[1] The actual quote

...seems to be a misquote:

  http://www.dirksencenter.org/print_emd_billionhere.htm

Thanks for that.  Not only did Dirksen possibly not say it, but I even
had my mid-1960s Republicans mixed up.  No matter who said, it, it
remains one of my favorite lines.  Honest mistake, I guess, I was 11
years old at the time.

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075