Re: [Evolution] Sig placement

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 13:58 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I do the same. IMHO top-posting became entrenched because of people
unfamiliar with the concepts of threading or archving, but it's now a
fact of life in some contexts.

Actually, I think it became entrenched because Microsoft implemented it
in Outlook/Outlook Express, and users who discovered email with those
products didn't know any better.

With so many users expecting it that way, the web mail providers
emulated it.

I think it is so entrenched at this point, that I tend to top post when
I know my recipient with think I sent her a blank email if I don't.
When possible, I counteract it by very selectively quoting, and either
bottom or interleaved posting.  (BTW, select to quote is not only
possible with Evolution and kmail, but also with Thunderbird and Apple's
Mail.app.)

I think the preserve the thread argument is spurious, both for the
reason which I think Patrick pointed out, and also because, how many
copies of every email in a conversation does anyone need?  People make a
living selling exchange addons that de-duplicate that stuff in the
exchange storage.
--
Art Alexion
MIS