Re: [Evolution] Sig placement

I've been trying to ignore this thread; but I'm struggling.  Response
style depends on circumstances and some styles suit some better than
others.  Some programs assign special meanings to things because it's
*convenient* to do so.  What's convenient changes over time, just as,
say, the English language changes over time.  Getting on a high horse
to say "this is the one true way" is nothing better than religious
fundamentalism--although it probably ends up hurting less people.

Anyway, the problem I have with what the OP said is that anybody can
modify any part of a message, including their message you're replying
to.  The text below isn't a record of what's been said and should *not*
be treated as such.  At most, it's a convenience that it gets repeated.

There are technical solutions to record who said what, digital
signatures being the common example, but blind trust doesn't help.

  Sam

p.s. to the bigots out there, I normally reply to mailing-lists inline
and to business emails by top posting.  This seems to cause the least
confusion, but it is just a guideline---as the present message serves to
demonstrate.