Re: [Evolution] Keeping states

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 13:12 -0400, Eric Preston wrote:
Secondly, I think nowadays it's far from unusual for people to read mail
from more than one location (at least home and office, probably more if
they travel a lot). It's just a fact of life.

That's probably true, but that's not what we're talking about. You read
from multiple locations then you're hopefully doing it with IMAP over
ipsec or something. I'm talking about the simple case of reading local
mail (local Evo mailboxes grabbed from POP) and expecting the position
of selected messages in index views to remain the same across folder
changes and returns as well as quitting and restarting the application.

Open question: Why is this not doable?

I only use IMAP but one would certainly expect this to work in the
scenario you describe. If it doesn't it's broken.

Or you could use a vFolder and avoid duplicating messages.

No I can't. Because when I get new mail bettween reads the scroll
position will be screwed up just as with regular folders... therefore I
resort to deleting duplicate messages in another folder for the purpose
so that the latest (but oldest) mail on the list is top of the window
with no need to scroll to find it.

I'm not sure what "latest (but oldest)" means. Maybe you could define
the vFolder based on message status (e.g. status is-not Read).

poc