Re: [Evolution] Keeping states

Patrick O'Callaghan said:

Except that the message might no longer be there. People use a variety
of mailers, including multiple instances of Evo (I do, though they're
not concurrent). As long as the state is kept local to each instance and
not on the mail server, you can't know what happened between one
activation and the next, so you need a fallback.

I think you're clouding the issue here. If you're using multiple mailers
(or instances thereof) you've got really unrealistic expectations for
any of them to keep reasonably sane state information. Defaults should
accomodate common case(s). My common case is only
reading .evolution/mboxes with one instance of Evolution.

But given that people can order the folder index on a lot of different fields, it's not clear
what the fallback should be. I'd be happier if it was the bottom message
rather than the top one, but that's just me. It would be nice to have it
configurable ...

I think it's more than reasonable for Evo to remember the Message-Id
(yeah, yeah, possibly not unique, blah blah blah) last viewed in a
folder and jump to that message if possible, falling back to the top of
the list however it might be sorted at that time (or have a config
checkbox to jump to the bottom of the list). Whatever scrolling state
info widget problems there are aside, I don't think I'm the only one who
thinks it should do this.

This would be great for those of us not running multiple mail clients on
the same mboxes but simply trying to read mailing lists from the last
spot we were at when they get new mail.

I currently get around this problem by simply having a filter duplicate
the mailing list into another folder... I read and delete the day's mail
from the one folder which is sorted from top to bottom oldest at the
top. Falling back on the other folder for searchs and looking up
threads.

-E