Re: [Evolution] Keeping states

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:44:19AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 21:59 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 09:22 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:06 +0200, guenther wrote:

* When switching folders, Evo remembers the selected mail and the
  position in the mail list. This even works after closing Evo.

no it doesn't.  I know it intends to, but it doesn't do a very good job
of it IMHO.  Please don't be upset by this remark, I'm just
commenting :)

actually it does, but a particular message is not always in the exact
same scroll position between sessions (new mail has arrived and perhaps
the folder is in threaded view, etc).

just to be annoying, no, it doesn't always.  Sometimes it remembers the
scroll position, but sometimes evo reverts to the "top" of the folder.
I notice this because I'm one of those weird people who reads messages
with the newest at the bottom.  Sometimes I leave a folder with the last
message selected (and scrolled to), and when I come back, evo is at the
very top of the list (ie. the oldest email).

Seems like the best thing to keep is (a) which message is selected, and
(b) which message is currently the topmost visible in the window.  Then
you would scroll to (b) on returning to the folder, and altough it might
scroll to somewhere different from the original place, it'll always at
least have something to do with which messages were displayed before, no
matter what scroll position they end up as.

Joe