Re: [Evolution] Compiling Evo

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 14:31 +0100, guenther wrote:
Yeah, jhbuild is /supposed/ to be easy. Running CVS versions can be hard
though, even with a tool that supposedly makes the build easy. ;)

I'd recommend GARNOME [1], if you want to test particular apps/versions
or the entire GNOME Desktop. It does not use CVS versions but released
tarballs (either stable or unstable), so building it does not depend on
the current state of CVS...
GARNOME is designed to not interfere with your existing installs, so
it's safe for testing. Regardless if you build Evo by jhbuild or
GARNOME, the deps sure are the same and automatically build by GARNOME.

I downloaded Garnome to take a look, but haven't tried it yet since I
figured out that my problem with 2.5.1 was a missing hal-devel RPM.

GARNOME ships with almost all necessary bootstrap. In particular, the
proper hal version is built by GARNOME automagically.

I'll
keep it in mind for future reference, though it's not clear from the
docs whether you can just compile the parts you want or have to install
(or at least compile) an entire Gnome desktop, which I *don't* want.

You can build Evo only -- kind of. All deps to keep it sane will be
built, you do not need to build the entire Desktop.

$ make -C desktop/evolution paranoid-install

OK, I'll try that just for the fun of it :-)

poc