Re: [Evolution] Compiling Evo

Do I need to remove 2.2.3 before doing this? If I use RPM to remove it
will it also remove my .evolution file as well?

I recommend you install in a separate tree (e.g. /opt/evolution), so you
can have both versions in case of trouble. RPM will not remove
your .evolution directory.

To stress the facts some more:

You do not need to uninstall the already existing version. But you
really should install your own build to a prefix destinct from the
system install, just as Patrick said.

Uninstalling any application should in absolutely no case ever mess with
the users data in their $HOME.

I have checked the Mandriva site to see if they have an RPM set up for
Evo 2.4 on their updates site, but not yet available.

Mandrake Cooker [1] has Evo 2.4.1 and friends. (Note, Cooker is the
development version. Be sure to not update your entire system, when all
you want is a newer Evo version.)

Can I presume that because 2.2.3 is running currently, that apart from
the files above I should have everything I need?

No.

Evolution 2.4 [2] may have dependencies that are not part of GNOME 2.10
(as shipped with your Mandriva version). Dunno.

Even if Evo 2.4 happily builds on GNOME 2.10, you are most likely
missing a bunch of -devel dependencies that are necessary to /build/
applications. Those are available as RPMs by Mandriva. It's common to
have them in separate RPMs, cause you need them for building only, not
if you're installing pre-built binaries by RPM.

I believe so (don't use Mandriva myself), but see the README to make
sure versions are up to date (e.g. for gal). Note that you may need some
-devel RPMs when compiling, depending on what options you choose. You'll
know if the configure script complains.

Evo does not depend on gal since 2.4.

...guenther

[1] See http://urpmi.org/ for links to the Cooker Wiki and Easyurpmi, a
    resource to find Mandriva mirrors (including Cooker).
[2] Evolution 2.4 is part of GNOME 2.12