Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4.6 to Evo 2.2, SuSE to Ubuntu

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup ...
(gnome-session:8396) libgnome vfs-WARNING **: Unable to create
~/.gnome2
directory: Permission denied
could not create per-user gnome configuration directory
'/home/kelly/.gnome2/': Permission denied.

Well, as Michael already suggested, this looks like /home/kelly either
does *not* belong to the user 'kelly' or the permissions of this dir are
totally borked.

I think that it's more likely the latter.

A courageous 'ls -la /home' would tell you...

For reference, here is a sane one:

$ ls -ld /home/guenther
drwxr-xr-x  93 guenther users 4608 Jun 18 04:20 /home/guenther/

Maybe there is something way more seriously wrong than that, though,
given that gnome-vfs actually tries to create this dir -- depending on
the underlying gnome-vfs logic, which I don't know. ~/.gnome2 [1] should
already be there, if the user 'kelly' used GNOME before. So either it
(falsely) tries to create this dir, cause the permissions of /home/kelly
or /home/kelly/.gnome2 are wrong, or it actually tries to create it,
cause it is missing (and fails, due to missing permission on ~)...

What I'm wondering is: did I slip up and, in a fatigued midnight
session, accidentally change the permissions on /home rather than
/home/kelly ? As I try to reconstruct what I did, it seems like the most
likely thing that I could have done that would #$%^&*-ed things up so
badly as to prevent me from even logging in.

The courageous command mentioned above would tell you about this, too.
(It's the dir listed as a single dot in that example.)

Another sane reference:

$ ls -ld /home
drwxr-xr-x  14 root root 384 Jun  3 00:04 /home/

You specifically need read/execute permissions to the world (other).

If this dir is not present currently... Kelly, is there any content left
at all in /home/kelly?

I don't see any indication that any content has been lost at all.

Then please have a look at your permissions and ownerships of those
dirs, if you can have a look inside your $HOME...

Just guessing, though. Sorry, if I'm totally off the track here, scaring
you for no reason.

<sigh> I think that I'm just going to have to delete and re-install
Ubuntu. I should be able to get back to the point where everything is
working, *except* migrating the Evolution files. Before I migrate again,
I'll have to figure out how to resolve the permissions issue, but at
least everything else will be working.

Whatever, I can't really tell you more than I already did...

...guenther