Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4.6 to Evo 2.2, SuSE to Ubuntu

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 18:56, guenther wrote:
Andre - Yes, it does appear to be a permission "thing." I've got some
folks trying to help me with it. I'll report back if I find a solution.
Otherwise, I'm going to delete Ubuntu and re-install and start over.

So, did adjusting the ownership (UID, GID) and maybe the file
permissions of ~/.evolution/mail/local/ (recursively, including all
files [1]) solve this?

...guenther

[1] and directories, which actually are files, too

No. And somehow, I managed to screw-up an .xsession file in the process
and now can no longer even login to Ubuntu!  :-( So close and yet, so
far away ...

Quick any dirty solution: Create a new user (see 'man useradd'), copy
the .xsession file to your screwed users $HOME and adjust UID and GID to
that user.

I'm ready to just delete Ubuntu and start over. However, 1) deleting
Ubuntu won't delete grub in the MBR, so I don't know what to do unless
the new install will overwrite the old;

Well, any OS install which intends to be run after installation will
install (or at least ask the user to) a bootloader either in MBR or in
the current partition... ;-)

That's what I figured ...

I don't see any issue here -- besides, I don't see how this will fix
your issue neither.

and 2) I still don't know how to
solve the original problem: owner ID on both is "kelly" but UID on SuSE
is 500 and on Ubuntu is 1000. So, I might end up in the same place as
before. Running chown and chmod didn't solve anything.

OK, one of the two of us is confused now. ;)

Those files are in your $HOME, you want to access those files -- so it
is best to own them as well. By "adjusting UID and GID" I was talking
about setting it to your current ones. I don't care about the UID you
had on the system you used before. Neither does the current system. In
fact, it doesn't even know about it...

So to clarify: The current user should own the files. Which can be done
by 'chown' without knowing the UID, but giving the user name.

You should own all the files (recursively) in ~/.evolution/mail/local
and have at least read and write permissions (u+rw) as well as
read/write/execute permissions (u+rwx) on the dirs.

Do you have this?

Yes, that's what I did, but it didn't change anything - I was still
getting the same error message. It was subsequent to that that I did
something (most of my major screw-ups come late at night when I'm tired
..) that caused me not to be able to login. I'm not sure what I did. I'm
not going to re-install because I think it will solve the basic problem
- I'm going to do it just so that I can get back to the point of being
able to login.

Kelly

--
Kelly J. Morris <kjmlists comcast net>