Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4.6 to Evo 2.2, SuSE to Ubuntu

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 07:43, guenther wrote:
No. And somehow, I managed to screw-up an .xsession file in the process
and now can no longer even login to Ubuntu!  :-( So close and yet, so
far away ...

Quick any dirty solution: Create a new user (see 'man useradd'), copy
the .xsession file to your screwed users $HOME and adjust UID and GID to
that user.

[...]
You should own all the files (recursively) in ~/.evolution/mail/local
and have at least read and write permissions (u+rw) as well as
read/write/execute permissions (u+rwx) on the dirs.

Do you have this?

Yes, that's what I did, but it didn't change anything - I was still
getting the same error message. It was subsequent to that that I did
something (most of my major screw-ups come late at night when I'm tired
..) that caused me not to be able to login. I'm not sure what I did. I'm
not going to re-install because I think it will solve the basic problem
- I'm going to do it just so that I can get back to the point of being
able to login.

Guenther -

Re-Installing the entire system just for the purpose of creating a user?

For me, given my low level of knowledge, it may be the only way to get
back to the original problem point where I had encountered the
permissions problem and before I screwed up the .xsession ...

Switch to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), log in as root and create a new user
(see 'man useradd'). Log in as that user to your graphical Desktop
(Alt-F7) and from that working account see what the issue with your
existing one is, compare the hidden dot files.

OK. Ubuntu has a FAQ for creating new users and I'll do that this
afternoon.

There are a gazillion other ways of repairing the broken account, short
of re-installing everything...

With Linux, there are *always* a godzillion ways of doing something
<grin> - I just don't know any of them. :-(

This is the error message that I get when I can't login. Does this help
identify what file(s) need to be repaired? I'm clueless ...
"Your session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out
yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or
that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of  the
failsafe sessions to see if you can fix the problem."

[Note: I have plenty of disk space left (+ or - 3 GB). Once I log in to
a CLI in recovery mode, I don't know what to do when I get there ...]

The details of the above error are as follows:
view details (~/.xsession-errors file)

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running /usr/bin/x11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/.wtmp -u /var/run/utmp/  -x /var/lib/gdm/:0.xservers -h "" -l
":0" "kelly"

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup ...
(gnome-session:8396) libgnome vfs-WARNING **: Unable to create ~/.gnome2
directory: Permission denied
could not create per-user gnome configuration directory
'/home/kelly/.gnome2/': Permission denied.

Thanks.  Kelly

--
Kelly J. Morris <kjmlists comcast net>