Re: [Evolution] Evo 1.4.6 to Evo 2.2, SuSE to Ubuntu

Greetings - I have Evolution 1.4.6 on my desktop with SuSe Pro 9.0. My
laptop has Ubuntu 5.10 with Evolution 2.2. I would like to copy my
/home/kelly/evolution files with all my accounts, settings, etc. to the
laptop.

Well, basically the answer is this post:
  http://galactus.ximian.com/pipermail/evolution/2005-May/043454.html

Can I just copy-and-paste /home/kelly/evolution from SuSE to Ubuntu? Do
I need to run setup on Evo 2.2 first, thereby creating
/home/kelly/evolution in Ubuntu, and then copy-and-replace?

No, when moving/copying old settings and data to a new account, the best
(as in easiest and fail proof) way is to NOT use the new account before
copying the data.

I would appreciate any guidance.  TIA

First of all some basics: Both 1.4.x as well as 2.x.y do store (most of)
the settings using GConf, thus they are in ~/.gconf/apps/evolution. Evo
1.4.x still uses the old ~/evolution directory for data, which changed
to the hidden directory ~/.evolution since 2.0.0.

*If* there is *no* new Evo data which you want to keep on the target
machine  you should remove those dirs first to cleanly import your old
1.4.x data. Namely that is:

On the *target* machine remove the directories ~/evolution (if it
exists), the new data dir ~/.evolution as well as the settings dir
~/.gconf/apps/evolution. Be sure to kill all backend tasks *first*
before messing with those dirs: 'evolution --force-shutdown' will close
the Evo backend tasks and 'gconftool-2 --shutdown' will shut down the
GConf daemon. If you don't do this, the date still will be in memory!
After removing those dirs, we got a clean Evo environment on the target
machine.

Then copy over the old data from the source machine to the target
machine. You will need the Evo 1.4.x dirs, which are ~/evolution (not
hidden) and ~/.gconf/apps/evolution. Again, be sure to kill all backend
tasks on *both* machines before copying the data. Adjust the user and
group of those files on the target machine, if necessary.

When done, you can start Evo 2.x.y on the target machine for the first
time again. It will identify an old 1.4.x environment and migrate all
your data and settings. This may take a while...

Be careful and always have backups handy of your data. Paranoia saves
your day!

...guenther