Re: [Evolution] Mulitple IDs

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 15:02 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmmm, at first sight this looks a bit like my situation. I manage home
and work mail accounts from evolution. Mail that gets sent to my work
account, and I reply to, automatically has my work's origin address and
my work's email server selected by evolution, as for my home mail. And
if I don't like it, I can always select one myself.

The only thing I need to do to make this work is to create multiple
accounts in evolution. Each account has an outgoing email address + long
name, an incoming and outgoing email server. I guess that's all that's
needed to do what you want? You did know that clicking on "From" when
you type a new message, lets you select another mail account (not only
origin address)?

Do you have 2 inboxes, outboxes, draftboxes, and probably trashboxes
(for audit reasons)?

Yep. Actually there are three, one account of my wife.

Do you archive each separately, including filters (again for audit
reasons, I need this for the contracting gig, they are rather finicky)?

Not exactly archiving, but I do use filters on all of them.

Filter rules get interesting.  Consider that one of your first set of
rules is to move mail to unique inboxes (foo1in and foo2in) based on
To:, CC:, and BCC: content.  From there, other rules move mail to
'appropriate folders'.  This first step is needed for that mail which
does not fit into a folder specific rule.

Now comes the email that is to a number of our addresses.  You do
receive multiple copies, but all of them end up in one fooxin folder
(based on first rule).

I don't have this problem, because the mail comes in at different IMAP
accounts.

Are you saying you are actually receiving the mail for multiple accounts
in _one_ mailbox (that being either mbox or something like imap or pop).

Or you get a message to one account that happens to fit the rule for
another account's rule and it moves from foo1in to foo2stuff.  Rules
are linear with stop options (don't process anymore rules).  Not tree
structured (since rule 1 applied, skip to rule 15, and drop out at rule 25).

You end up spending more time fixing mail than responding to mail.

It's your decision, but I still have this slight feeling that you are
thinking too much in eudora-like solutions.