Re: [Evolution] Mulitple IDs

At 11:13 AM 12/28/2005, Andre Klapper wrote:
hi robert,

Am Dienstag, den 27.12.2005, 14:06 -0500 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> Well I answered part of my directories question by doing a lot of
> INternet searching.

you're posting a question, three persons answer it on the mailing list,
and now you write that you got the answer by "a lot of internet
searching"? why are you asking then at all, and why did i waste ten
minutes on answering your previous mail? hmm.

yours is the first response I saw. I did more searching after I sent the first message to the list and got NOTHING back for quite sometime. I thought perhaps things were down for the holidays. So I got 'creative' in my searching and actually began to get some hits.

> I see where Evolution places its data in a hidden directory: ~/.evolution
>
> Now why it is felt necessary to put all of this stuff in hidden
> directories is beyond me.

once upon a time (version 1.4) it was in ~/evolution, and everyone
complained the other way round ("it's too easy to accidentally delete my
mails").

Since I posted this comment, a lot of Unix stuff I did back in the early 90s has been coming back to me, and I realize that this is a semantics issue as to what 'hidden' means in different contexts. I am now 'cool' with .foo directories.

?

> I wonder could I create some other user IDs, grant privileges to my
> ID and run additonal copies of Evolution pointing to those directories?
> Or do I somehow have to have multiple simultaneous logins?

i have no idea what you're aiming at, so i can't answer this. check your
file permissions, i'd say. where should these over copies run?

Reseaching elsewhere, the concensus is that Evolution is NOT what I want/need. Evolution is an Outlook alternative. Outlook never met my requirements, and I would not leave Eudora.

Thunderbird is more along the lines of what I am looking for. I will see though if I can get it to dance.

Evolution looks slick, but not my solution. Not a replacement for all that I do with Eudora that I still cannot do with Outlook.