Re: [Evolution] Mulitple IDs

At 01:31 PM 12/28/2005, Erik Slagter wrote:
On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 12:24 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Evolution looks slick, but not my solution.  Not a replacement for
> all that I do with Eudora that I still cannot do with Outlook.

That is very well possible, or you're thinking in fixed solutions; maybe
evolution can handle your requirements in a different way than you think
of at the moment.

OK.  Here give it a shot:

I have multiple Identities. This is VASTLY different from multiple email accounts.

My Identities include, but are not limited to:

My day job.
My home consulting job.
My home life.
My standards activities.
A consulting gig where I am to appear as an 'employee' to others (this is for contractual reasons).

Now for archival and record keeping reasons, I need (and HAVE!) to keep all mail, in, out, and folders totally separate and separately archived. Some of these Identities have a a few hundred nested folders or so. Some of them have multiple email accounts that I will receive mail to and have to send from (day job has 3 active email addresses and around 4 'historical' addresses).

With Eudora I run multiple copies of Eudora. Each is started with its own directory structure:

'<path>/Eudora.exe <data storage>/Identity'

These copies of Eudora are all (or most) running at the same time. I can switch to any of them and 'act' as that Identity as needed.

I have tried a number of times over the years, since Eudora added 'personalities', to merge all of this into one instance of Eudora and very involved filters and deeper folders.

I have not been successful making this conversion for a few reasons:

Rules get too complex and fail to put mail into the proper identity's folder structure. Does not like me sending from one personality to others, including one of my other personalities (but I think this is now fixed). Making it easy to send from the proper personality (if the To: was foo bar, don't propose the principal personality of bar foo Or if it comes to a defunct personality of oldfoo bar, know to propose foo bar). Maintain completely separate archives. Again for business (and personal) reasons.

I have also looked into IMAP. Now that I am moving to Linux, I could run my own IMAP server on my system so I could access my mail offline (like at 35000' over the Atlantic). But IMAP just moves the problem (read RFC 1925, rule 7).

One posiblity that Linux makes available is to actually make each Identity a separate Linux account. Then somehow have multiple logins for each account active. I have seen reference to a fast switcher (forget the name right now). xterm has been suggested. Also SSH back to myself to have the other ID in an SSH window! In these cases Linux is supplying the separateness, but then the GUI gets in my way (I have tried <cntl-alt> F1 and the gnome-session, but that did not work. yet.

Thunderbird offers 'profiles' as well as 'personalities' within a profile. Of course here too I need multiple Thunderbirds off an running. So I may just be doing yet another indirection here too.

Mail has to be solved first.  Then I will work with OpenOffice on other things.