Re: [Evolution] IMAP speed

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 17:08, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

Yeah, but still, do we have any idea why uw.imapd would be slower?

Anyways, I'd love to see actual numbers posted.  :-)

If anyone has a chance to run both Evolution 1.0.x and 1.2.0 against the
same non-Courier IMAP server and the same mailboxes, could s/he please
do some measurements and post the results here?

While I am not at all convinced that we should dismiss the issue as the
server's fault, it is a bit frustrating to not have any precise idea of
which servers are slower with 1.2 and exactly by how much.

I don't have any numbers for now, but I tried 1.2 for a couple of days
and it was _a lot_ slower than 1.0.8 against an uw.imapd server: when I
tried to open my sevenseas.org mailbox with ~1500 messages over a
640kbs/adsl line I had to wait several minutes, while with 1.0.8 I wait
10-15 seconds.

I tried to filter the mailbox (I have ~150 filters and the same number
of folders, some local and some on another imap server); the process
started when I left the office in the late evening, the next morning was
always running and evolution unusable. I killed the process and
downgraded to the 1.0.8 version.

--
Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>

--
Andrea Dell'Amico - <mailto:adellam sevenseas org>

Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root.
                -- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"