Re: [Evolution] IMAP speed

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 13:01, Scott Otterson wrote:
Well, first, although the IMAP on 1.2 is supposed to be faster than
1.08, several of us have said that IMAP is actually slower.  Seems like
this information would interest Ximian but on this list, anyway, it
doesn't seem to be making much of an impression.

Second, if a persistent tcp connection causes evolution to hang, then
maybe evolution shouldn't be using one.

this is why there's POP :-)

IMAP, by definition, uses a persistent tcp connection.

On reading your response, my first thought was, "Boy, linux must be
lame," because on Windows, nothing hangs when you lose your PPP -- not
outlook, not mozilla, not anything as far as I know.

wonderful about those win32 apis for finding out when the connection
goes down. Not available on linux.

  But then I fired
up mozilla on linux and found that it too survives having the modem
unplugged: Read IMAP mail, unplug the modem, plug it back in again,
reconnect, and mozilla is fine; for the same sequence, evolution hangs.

So what does mozilla use that works better than a persistent tcp
connection and should evolution be using that instead?

HTTP != persistent tcp stream. IMAP == persistent tcp stream.

HTTP connects, does a fetch, and then closes the connection. (well, HTTP
1.1 can have persistent streams to avoid
connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect but that's another issue).

IMAP connects and stays connected until the user explicitly logs off.
This is why I also mentioned that ssh (which also uses a persistent tcp
connection) also hangs for like 10 minutes.

If you don't like the wait, you are free to modify your kernel or submit
a patch to evolution.

Jeff

Scott