Re: [Evolution] custom keybindings (was Re: Again: Newbie questions/comments)

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 13:49, Brett Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 15:37, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

anyways, I can't think of a single gui client that allows you to rebind
keys to different actions.

You must be joking, right?  Lesse, off the top of my head, these are a
few mail/news GUI clients that I'm familiar with which let you remap
keybindings (and pretty much all text-based clients allow it):

        * Netscape 4.x (although you have to edit X resources to do it)

lesse, if you want to count having to edit a file then Evolution also
allows users to change their keybindings, so I guess we're done here
then eh? ;-)

just edit /usr/share/evolution/ui/*.xml

        * KMail, Knode, and pretty much every other KDE app on the
          planet.

I don't have KDE installed, but if this feature is anything like the gtk
feature of typing a new keybinding with the menu in fiocus, then it's
just broken and not a REAL solution.

        * Sylpheed

yea, and like very other gtk app, as soon as you close sylpheed the
settings are lost. Yea, that's just great.

        * Eudora
        * ZMail

Never used either of these.

Granted, the e-mail clients from a certain Redmond monopolist do not
allow one to remap keybindings, but I see that as more of a detriment
than a feature.  And even M$ lets you remap keybindings in their other
Office apps (word, excel, etc...).

Yea, and they've spent a lot more money on UI testing than any of the
clients listed above... gee, could that maybe be *why* it doesn't have
configurable keybindings?

Not to mention this is complicated to do (if
you want to avoid conflicting keybindings that is, if you want to let
the user screw himself, well then that'd be easy)

Complicated?  It's been done plenty of times in other apps.  Simply
don't allow the user to create a keybinding that trounces on another
keybinding.  That's not so complicated.

then you won't mind implementing it, I presume?

one look at bonobo-ui and you will see what I mean when I say
"complicated to do".

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast