Re: [Evolution-hackers] Thread Stealing (Was: Re: Nor “Answer to list”, nor “answer to all” make use of “Cc” …add “wide answer”?)

On Wed, 2018-05-30 at 01:43 +0200, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
If you inspect the In-Reply-To headers you’ll see none of these is
marked as an answer to another, yet References mark them because some
of them do reference the other ones.

        Hi,
I highly doubt any regular user even knows anything about the
internals. They care of the result. And what you did has the result as
shown in the attachment.

That's a very good habit to discuss one issue in one thread (or even
bug report), though I agree it's not always possible. While you think
the things are related, then the X-Mailer has nothing to do with Reply-
to-List (it just happened that you wrote both messages), still if I'm
not interested in the X-Mailer thread then when I collapse it (or mark
it to be ignored) I lost track of the other threads.

I also expect that you did put some effort to have the References
header filled in the other messages, which just shows that even you can
do that manually, regular users will not do it, unless they have tools
for it.

Anyway, we diverged from the subject from my point of view, we just
discuss our habits and preferences, which obviously differ. Each has
its pros and cons, I'm not questioning that. My personal past
experience is that changing someone habits is pretty hard (near to
impossible), no matter what any document can suggest as the best
practice. Again, consider regular users, corporate environments (top
posting), incorrect quoting, when people cannot distinguish between
instant messaging and e-mail (they try to use instant messaging habits
in e-mails, huh) and so on.
        Bye,
        Milan