Re: [Evolution-hackers] Nor “Answer to list”, nor “answer to all” make use of “Cc” …add “wide answer”?

On 2018-05-28 at 23:21 +0200, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
On 2018-05-28 at 15:40, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Reply-To-List is the only option anyone should ever use, IMNSHO.  Doing
anything else is bad netiquette.

Really? When beginning first to use mailing lists I was curious about
such a practice, but I tried to read again Netiquitte and didn’t found
anything related [1].

People have different views on this.

Also that means if I didn’t subscribed to this
list (I almost didn’t, then did, since Evolution was my first mail
user-agent, a major one, and I might be interested in its, heh,
evolution) I would never have received an answer,

Generally, if you write to a mailing list, you are expected to either be
subscribed (in fact, you often can't send there without subscribing
first), or politely request to be CCed in your email.

Also, maybe you are not interested in receiving everything, but failing
everything else you should at least check the archives for replies.

(there are also other use cases, like people reading the mailing list
through a mail2news gateway)

Some mailing lists function differently, however, such as those support
emails which are actually backed by a mailing list, in which the
customer is not (and can not be) a subscriber. Thus, there it is known
that the customer only receives emails explicitly directed to him, and
Reply to all must be used.

as I believe neither
mailman nor sympa do have the (complicated) feature of keeping track of
subjects, references and reply-to headers so that to send to
unsubscribed senders to the mailing-list messages that answer or
references what they sent. Especially that would impedes the ability to
privately react and discuss about the sent may privately before to maybe
answer back a maybe more reflected and collective answer. Yet I guess
that too might be considered bad netiquette, as until then I only twice
were answered on a mailing list without having been directly mailed:
once before my mail, and once with this one.

That would be a bad idea for a mailing list to do automatically.
It should actually be a user subscription option. In addition to receive
emails / don't receive / receive as a digest, you would have a "receive
only mails from threads where I have participated" option.
And yes, that would be a complicated feature to implement.

On all other mailing lists (mainly: GNU, my (associative) ISPs, as well
as administrative or political mailing lists) I’ve *always* be directed
(intentionnally or not) with “To” or “Cc” the mail.  And several times
(especially for non-technical ones, where participant didn’t always knew
or were used to what was a mailing list) that helped keep some
(sometimes important to the discussion) people in the discussion.

I always reply to list and drop all other recipients;  I assume they
are detritus accumulated from misconfigured mail clients.

For me when “to” contain anything, that doesn’t only mean I want to send
the message there (that, in fact, would be detritus if the person is
knowledgably subscribed to the mailing list) but that also means the
message is *directed” to that person in the meaning that if I say “you”
there, that means anybody in the “To:” header, contrasted with anybody
in the “Cc:” header or to which I may show or afterward re-send the mail
(be it by some other protocol than SMTP).  For instance, as I see you
didn’t (and asked for) not add(ing) the user personal address in “to”, I
consider I can’t personally address people in this mail, except to the
whole mailing list, then each time I say “you” in this mail that’s
either impersonal pronoun, either directed to the general audience of
the mailing list.

I would consider that I am replying to the person whose text I am
quoting above.
(Or rather, i am probably replying to the *ideas* expressed therein, not
as much as the human who typed them)

Best regards