Re: [Evolution-hackers] Nor “Answer to list”, nor “answer to all” make use of “Cc” …add “wide answer”?

Le 29/05/2018 à 01h35, Ángel a écrit :
On 2018-05-28 at 23:21 +0200, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
On 2018-05-28 at 15:40, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Reply-To-List is the only option anyone should ever use, IMNSHO.  Doing
anything else is bad netiquette.

Really? When beginning first to use mailing lists I was curious about
such a practice, but I tried to read again Netiquitte and didn’t found
anything related [1].

People have different views on this.

Until then I keep being put “To” of mails coming from GNU mailing lists,
and am happy with this due to the semantical meaning of “To” I
constructed in my mind.  But how of other views?  how widespread is each
one?  why?

Also that means if I didn’t subscribed to this
list (I almost didn’t, then did, since Evolution was my first mail
user-agent, a major one, and I might be interested in its, heh,
evolution) I would never have received an answer,

Generally, if you write to a mailing list, you are expected to either be
subscribed (in fact, you often can't send there without subscribing
first), or politely request to be CCed in your email.

Oh, what a good idea! I might even add this in a signature (then why not
to be put in the To when appropriate?)?  Or what about a special header
to convey a such meaning so that to disambiguate the meaning of To and
Cc headers?

Also, maybe you are not interested in receiving everything, but failing
everything else you should at least check the archives for replies.

(there are also other use cases, like people reading the mailing list
through a mail2news gateway)

I dislike web (archives) :/ still nntp would be a clean option.

Some mailing lists function differently, however, such as those support
emails which are actually backed by a mailing list, in which the
customer is not (and can not be) a subscriber. Thus, there it is known
that the customer only receives emails explicitly directed to him, and
Reply to all must be used.

Oh, I recall sometimes having mail returned because of a such mailing
list policy!  Maybe then an unambiguous and formal usage may be not to
add To/Cc on mailing-lists disallowing unsubscribed mail address to send
mail through them?  Then maybe special mailing-list headers on mail
could also convey a such meaning to be more widely known by user-agents…

But isn’t it complicated to keep a that complicated behavior, with
headers semantics depending of context, mailing-list, people, etc. and
obligating people to have more complex mail formats, understanding,
usage and maybe messaging systems (mailing lists, newsgroups, etc.)
rather than slightly more complicated user-agents, with a lot more
simpler semantics?

as I believe neither mailman nor sympa do have the (complicated)
feature of keeping track of subjects, references and reply-to headers
so that to send to unsubscribed senders to the mailing-list messages
[which] answer or references what they sent. Especially that would
impedes the ability to privately react and discuss about the sent may
privately before to maybe answer back a maybe more reflected and
collective answer. Yet I guess that too might be considered bad
netiquette, as until then I only twice were answered on a mailing
list without having been directly mailed: once before my mail, and
once with this one.

That would be a bad idea for a mailing list to do automatically.
It should actually be a user subscription option. In addition to receive
emails / don't receive / receive as a digest, you would have a "receive
only mails from threads where I have participated" option.
And yes, that would be a complicated feature to implement.

I thought to such checkboxes/options, such as, for instance “mail me too
altogether as other mailing-list members” or “mail me a remainder” or
“don’t mail me messages with such and such topics / subjects / tags /
headers / content-warning” or here, either “don’t mail me again mails
that are already also addressed to me through To, Cc or Bcc” or,
possibly, but a bit more complicated, “don’t mail me first-messages of
each thread / each topic” (not the same thing as a thread may change
topic by having one of its participant changing its subject line).

But it won’t be possible to set a such setting for someone who never
subscribed, hence, never were exposed to such checkboxes.  And my
“receive only mail from threads where I have participated” idea was
“only receive mails from threads I started”, and explicitly directed
towards *unsubscribed* members.  Also your “receive only mails from
threads where I have participated” would require from the user, if not
basing on the subject line, to download (and extract from the month-wide
mbox file) the given mail, to answer it.  Because otherwise they would
never receive mails at all, then could never answer.  Or then that would
be a really special “subscription” where you never receive any mail at
all, except answers to the threads *you* started… and that’s the default
behavior of any mailing list allowing to post while being unsubscribed,
when their members add the aforementioned person in the “To:” or “Cc:”
headers.

I would consider that I am replying to the person whose text I am
quoting above.
(Or rather, i am probably replying to the *ideas* expressed therein, not
as much as the human who typed them)

Wow, much interesting idea, I like it. Thank you.