Re: Installing Seed extensions

Le mercredi 30 septembre 2009 à 06:53 +0100, Magnus Therning a écrit :
> Even though I have myself felt the pain of trying to translate my Python
> extension to Seed, I do feel that in the long run it's the right thing to drop
> Python.  Personally I don't feel Javascript is a very good language
> technically, but it's a strong contender mostly because it's used in other
> browsers (especially FF).

“Others do it this way” sounds like a very poor reason for a language
choice. If you look at the actual merits, there’s very little reason to
use JavaScript. The only thing where JS wins is the coolness factor, and
it doesn’t last as long as other qualities. I feel personally that a JS
developer is more likely to spend his time on writing a Mozilla
extension rather than an Epiphany one. At the same time, switching to a
poor language is scaring away the community of Python developers who was
developing extensions for Epiphany.

> What I'd like to see someone do is work out the bindings necessary to write
> extensions in Vala.

Indeed that would be great, it’s a good language.

Another option would be to allow Mono extensions, it would allow to
write them in many more languages.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette