Re: Installing Seed extensions

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 07:39:41AM +0300, Xan Lopez wrote:
> 2009/9/30 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>:
> > Le lundi 28 septembre 2009 à 16:11 +0300, Xan Lopez a écrit :
> >> Yeah, Seed support is pretty much in the "experimental" camp for the
> >> moment. It would be great if someone started a wiki page with the
> >> biggest blockers, or started opening bugs and marked them with some
> >> relevant keywords. I opened a few (mostly seed bugs) a few months ago,
> >> but then got too busy with other ephy/webkit issues :/
> >>
> >> Any volunteer?
> >
> > Can I volunteer for re-introducing Python support instead?
> > :)
>
> It's not really possible to have python and seed support at the same
> time, since they would conflict in their memory management of the
> objects they see. And I really don't feel like spending time in python
> makes any sense when the long term plan is to use javascript for
> extensions.
>
> That's pretty much what I said in the email about the topic last time,
> and I still believe the same thing :)

Even though I have myself felt the pain of trying to translate my Python
extension to Seed, I do feel that in the long run it's the right thing to drop
Python.  Personally I don't feel Javascript is a very good language
technically, but it's a strong contender mostly because it's used in other
browsers (especially FF).

What I'd like to see someone do is work out the bindings necessary to write
extensions in Vala.  I actually gave up on using Seed for my bookmark sharing
extension and have now written the most basic functionality in Vala.  It's a
very pleasant language to work with, and since it compiles via C it ought to
be possible to write Epiphany extensions completely in it.  That requires a
.vapi file for the extensions API though.

The way I've currently done it is to write the minimal amount of C possible
and then call into Vala, where all the heavy lifting happens.  Then the result
is passed back to C for some minor post-processing.  The nature of my
extension allows this sort of division, but that's of course not true for all
extensions.

/M