Re: community input..

Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
As someone who has been, and continues to attempt to become involved
in the GNOME project without being knee deep in code, I continue to be
amazed at just how hard that is to achieve. I would love to help with
project road maps, user feedback, bug testing and common issues,

Traditionally that work has happened as a part of the Bug Squad [1].
It's a fantastic way to contribute, with a fairly minimal overhead,
and all the maintainers I know would be thrilled to have help managing
their bugs.

Unfortunately, the Bug Squad hasn't been as active in recent years as
in the past, although Alexandre Franke has recently done some great
work to try and reinvigorate it [2].

There's huge potential to refresh the bug squad. I think this would include:

 * updating the bug triage documentation so it's easier to read, more
welcoming, and can be used for Gitlab as well as Bugzilla
 * setting achievable goals with regular progress summaries
 * holding events and online training
 * advertising the Bug Squad outside of the community
 * energizing the Bug Squad irc channel
 * doing talks and training at GUADEC and other conferences

If anyone's interested in this I'd love to talk to them about it!

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Bugsquad
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/BugSquashMonth