Re: community input..

On 12/07/2017 06:58 AM, Emily Gonyer wrote:
Absolutely agree. The resistance to community input in GNOME
developers has long been a huge impediment to GNOME's wider success,
and has consistently driven users and outside developers away for
years.

If we say that that GNOME developers are resistant as a description of what happened, I agree. To say that they did so with intention, I do not.

Our current avenues of communication are prone to breakdown (no edit in bugzilla?!) and can often suffer from situations like E-S-L and different viewpoints for the vision of a project.

GNOME developers are often overworked. Sadly, it comes with the territory of such expansive goals. Our desires often outpace our contributor growth.

Add to that the huge amount of emotional labor this task requires and it's prone to failure. We all need more empathy, but let's also set ourselves up for success. People teetering on burnout generally have little empathy to spare.

I'm not sure how to go about including more community input, but
absolutely agree that doing so could be incredibly helpful to the
project as a whole long term.

The solution to me is so obvious it hurts.

For example, Builder is a *HUGE* project. Right now, for better or worse, I'm doing most of the programming, the project management, the product road-map, documentation, discussing future plans with users, bug triage, QA, and end-user support. Thankfully we have awesome i18n contributors. (Shout to everyone that helps me out, I value you).

In most software companies more than a year old, these are separate full time positions. This *MUST* be addressed.

We need more contributors to GNOME that aren't burdened by being knee deep in code every day. We need people focusing on the product road-map. That requires user feedback, analyzing bug velocity and common issues, helping developers prioritize while maintaining the product vision, and responsibility for the quality of the end product.

Every time I get new designs from the design time I'm very grateful, because that helps with some of these issues. But we really need more complete functioning teams because what we have now is insufficient.

There are endless arguments at companies about how to do this. Do you have specialized teams by role (ie: "design team" or "QA team") or a representative of each product performing these roles (or a hybrid).

-- Christian