Re: SXSW stuff

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Fabiana Simões <fabianapsimoes gmail com> wrote:
Hi there,

On 4 March 2014 09:47, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
I was planning on doing 1:1 correspondance.  I had actually looked
into buying cookies with teh GNOME logo on it as an ice breaker.  I
got that idea from a gal who works at a bakery and was waiting at an
airport heading back to Portland.

That sounds like a lovely idea :) I guess we won't have time to put it
in practice for SXSW, but maybe next time?

Yeah, I did try to do it early but the lady didn't come back to me.
It would ahve cost me $78 dollars to have 24 cookies with the GNOME
logo on it (minimum).

Karen thought that getting some fliers printed out is a good first
step and give them out at concerts and what not.

Is this sorted out? Do you need any help?

I'm working on it, Karen and I had a call yesterday and we worked out
some action items:

* Poster for the event
* we decided not to do business cards, and isntead we will try to get
people's contact addresses and follow up
* I'm two minds for the fliers, but I think I might print if I have
time.  Otherwise, I'll try to do something in Austin to print them
out.

* We need the engagement team to start tweeting about GNOME's presence
at SXSW, definitely try to tweet about Karen's talk at SXSW.  I'll be
doing some of that as well.
* I created an account at SXSW, and tried to plugin to the social
scene, but I didn't really get anywhere.  Everything required some
amount of money.  You can easily blow about 5K on this
conference
* Attending like minded talks on Saturday (Sri), and also try to find
other communities that know about community management, outreach,
and/or marketing

Maybe we could get the engagement team to do some twitter
stuff using the #sxsw hashtag?

What do you have in mind exactly? Would be happy to give a hand with that!

So on Friday, let's start tweeting about GNOME at #sxsw, and also talk
about Karen's talk as well.  We can all try to re-tweet as many times
as we can.
Tweet about the GNOME event on Saturday at the Muddys(?) which is near
the conference center.  Get people to retweet that.

Are there any talks or events should keep an idea on? I'm not really
familiar with the schedule.

There are some good talks, and Karen and suggest one other talk from
the EFF I believe I can't remember.

http://sxsw.com/schedule
http://schedule.sxsw.com/?conference=interactive

The sheer number of talks will boggle your mind!  We must plan for
next year and talk about UX, GNOME, and Free Software.  This will be a
great place to do that kind of outreach.

But honestly, the outreach to get GNOME's name out is not the only
driver.  We are also looking to see how  other orthogonal
organizations do community outreach, or work with others. I'm looking
for ideas that we could apply to our community that has worked
successfully in others.  Something different.  Something fresh.

Yeah, SXSW definitely sounds like a good field for some research.
Looking forward to hear your insights when you're both back :)

It sure is! :)

sri

- Fabiana