Re: SXSW stuff

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Fabiana Simões
<fabianapsimoes gmail com> wrote:
While this discussion is quite important, I think we should get it
going in another thread as none of this quite applies to SXSW.

Sri: how do you plan to promote GNOME at SXSW? Will you join any
relevant events during the conference?

I was planning on doing 1:1 correspondance.  I had actually looked
into buying cookies with teh GNOME logo on it as an ice breaker.  I
got that idea from a gal who works at a bakery and was waiting at an
airport heading back to Portland.  It was kind of an idle converation.
 Interestingly enough, she actually reads whatever I put on my G+.  :)

Anyways, there is a plan to also have an informal event with the EFF.
Karen adn I are going to meet up tomorrow to figure out how to set
that up.  We are roping in Tiffany to help us with events
coordination.  I'm planning on making her our official go to person
for events planning and you guys should all use her as well!

I think it would be great if you brought some swag to distribute.
Leaflets, shirts, stickers... I'm aware we don't have a stand there,

Karen thought that getting some fliers printed out is a good first
step and give them out at concerts and what not.  Also doing some
twitter.  Maybe we could get the engagement team to do some twitter
stuff using the #sxsw hashtag?

but you could still drop material around during related talks, and
hand it over to anyone interested. As you're going there as a GNOME
Foundation Member it would be nice to have some GNOME material to
spread the word.

Yes, it would be nice, but I didn't qauite have the time to have any
such things.  I'm working on getting business cards.  But I can't
really have a booth or anything (it's very expensive) and so I have no
way to store and pass out anything.  I think the informal event will
be one good place.

But honestly, the outreach to get GNOME's name out is not the only
driver.  We are also looking to see how  other orthogonal
organizations do community outreach, or work with others. I'm looking
for ideas that we could apply to our community that has worked
successfully in others.  Something different.  Something fresh.

I would love to hear any other ideas.

sri