Re: SXSW stuff

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
With SXSW, I get to talk to orthogonal communities, and one of the
things that really bugs me is the lack of participation in the overall
GNOME communities.  The people I interact with are generally been
core, active members.  But what do I know about the translators as an
example?  Or the GNOME Hispano team, the GNOME asian team?

We are missing a GNOME space for *passively* sharing team information.

This reminds me that around 2010-2011 Vinicius showed me a mockup for
a very minimal contributor network on GNOME.org, something like a
simple profile + badges.

But I also want to talk about how we are solving problems like
diversity by talking about OPW and our successes with that.  We don't
talk about OPW enough externally IMHO.  Diego and I were talking about
creating a story about GNOME and diversity in our conversations.

The idea we have discussed is that GNOME needs to upgrade its story.

We are no longer about building a Free Desktop. We are all about
fostering diversity (OPW) and innovation in Free Software (Hackfests).
We have put the money where our mouth was.

This are goals that can rally people even if they don't use the
software everyday.

Strategically, I think this year as part of our goal in the engagement
team, we should look internally and work to make things better.  We
are getting contributors now, and not just from the usual GSOC and
OPW.  I want to hold on to that enthusiasm and get them quickly
integrated.

I have a specific agenda item for this. I would like to make the
Outreach Games from 2012 a tradition at GUADEC.
I live under the impression that they were really effective to break
the ice between new contributors, and also old ones.