Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga and x264 in Debian main (was Re: Trunk: OPAL Fax problem)

Quoting Luca Capello <luca pca it>:

> Hi there!
>
> On Thu, 08 May 2008 11:47:38 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:

> >> No, we don't want that I think.
> >
> > It is a pwlib plugin, so it can be packaged separately, and that
> > specific plugin can be put in non-free.
>
> Isn't instead an OPAL dependency?  However, this won't solve anything,
> as far as I understood Matthias at [1].  But as a disclaimer, I haven't
> checked ekiga trunk lately.
>
> Please re-read the definition of the Debian categories [2]: a Debian
> package to be in main (thus distributed with official CDs) must
> build-depend only on software present in main.
>
> This means that if opal build-depends on x264 (which is, let's say, in
> non-free), then opal cannot be part of main.  My previous statement that
> in this case opal (well, I wrote ekiga...) has to be put in non-free is
> wrong: opal can go into contrib, since opal itself is a "free package
> which requires [...]  a non-free package for compilation".  As a result,
> ekiga has to be put in contrib, since ekiga build-depends on opal, which
> isn't in main.
>
> This situation will slow ekiga adoption, which is something I don't want
> to see.
>
> Thx, bye,
> Gismo / Luca
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ekiga-devel-list/2008-May/msg00023.html
> [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-sections

Sorry, forgot to send the following mail to the list...:
Eugen,

this is not possible since codecs are plugins and how shall Ekiga know what
plugins exist in all the world? There can also be closed source and proprietary
plugins that just have to be installed on the system in order for Ekiga/OPAL to
find them.

Damien, I think you said something already about the frequency issue?

About the packages issue, I suppose that there should be packages like this:
ekiga
opal includes h.261 & theora or depends opal-h261 & oapl-theora
ptlib
opal-h263p depends libavcodec
opal-mpeg4 depends libavcodec
opal-h264 depends libavcodec & libx264
opal / opal-theora depends libtheora

ekiga/opal recommends opal-h263p, mpeg4, x264

The opal-x packages can have different states on ubuntu or debian, whether there
is a non-free or whatever repository or some unofficial add-on repository...
Matthias