Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Trunk: OPAL Fax problem

Quoting Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr>:

> Luca Capello wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > On Wed, 07 May 2008 10:06:13 +0200, Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> >> Last night I have done a complete fresh checkout of PTLib / OPAL /
> >> Ekiga and built, pretty much using config options from:
> > [...]
> >> 3. The x264 lib is not yet available in Debian, while it seems to be
> >> in Ubuntu.
> >
> > Debian has stronger criteria than Ubuntu WRT patent issues and x264 has
> > MPEG-4 patent issues, see Debian bug #423250 [1].
> >
> >> But with that one missing, you will just get a binary without thazt
> >> one and everything else seems fine.
> >
> > It's been quite a while since my last time I checked Ekiga trunk, but I
> > clearly remember that Kilian's debs dynamically linked x264 [2].  This
> > should the way to go IMHO.
>
> Hi,
>
> The deb snapshot packages I generate build compile with libx264-dev, and
> the library itself libx264-?? is only "Suggests".  Kilian did the same.
>
> --
> Eugen

Hi all,
this is correct. Let me explain again how x264 is used by Ekiga. By default,
OPAL dynamically loads the x264 plugin at runtime. The x264 plugin executes a
separate GPLed process, which in turn dynamically loads libx264. In case this
failes, the GPLed process tells this to the plugin which in turn disables
itself. Now the packages should be compiled with x264 header files present,
and, with libx264 suggested. In case libx264 is present on the system where
ekiga is run, h264 is automatically enabled. In case its not, its disabled.
Its similar for libavcodec, except there you dont have the separate GPL process
and libavcodec is loaded at runtime by the plugin directly.

Matthias