Re: Line pointed to center of circle

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon freemail ru> wrote:
Greetings, Michael Ross!

> This is the same behavior I was referring to.  When you are placing the line
> on the circle it shows the whole line, but when you release it the part of
> the line from the border to the center is invisible.

For the "perfect circle" it's not true.
The line is clearly attached to the circle edge (the line anchor is drawn
there), while retaining it's mental connection to the circle center. It looks
much like "Perfect circle" have unlimited connection points along it's edge,
dynamically reassigned to connected lines as the shape is moved.

Andrey, it is possible to connect/snap to a "perfect" circle in multiple ways. I assure you that I tested everything I said before I wrote the reply.   I will leave it to you to verify that it behaves as I say.

> If you move the circle the line clearly is attached at the center, it moves
> around the circumference rather than being attached to a connection point on
> the circumference.  This is nice if you want to put some text of other item
> inside the circle, and not see the ray behind it.

Well, yes. It's all nice as long as you're using standard shapes.
I was trying to reproduce the same behavior with custom shape to no success.

Yes, this appears to be behavior for the ellipses only.  You will have to dig deeper into the code to find out how it is done and see if it is applicable to your own custom shapes.  The nice thing about open source is you can actually do this - try to get into Visio or other commercial software for modifications.

The best approximation I've come up with is when I use line absolure start/end
cuts, which gives a headache when I want to resize shape. I have to manually
adjust respective end of the line afterward.
Adding a "Circle" or more flexible "Ellipse" connection shape would be a
solution, though.

You are welcome to make a case for development or do it yourself.

--
Put this question to yourself: should I use everyone else to attain happiness, or should I help others gain happiness?
Dalai Lama

Thomas A. Edison

Warren Buffet

Michael E. Ross