Re: Grid Snap

I only recall one program that figures out all the reasonable locations for snapping and that is LabVIEW and only with text.  They have an algorithm that decides about nine positions for text block snapping around an icon.  You can do that with something as regular as a text block.

On the other hand, the shapes in Dia are custom made by people who actually use them and who are presumably happy with how they work.  There is all manner of irregularity throughout all the palettes/sheets.  In that context the Align functions are really very handy.  I am not a programmer, but picking the center for snapping is as arbitrary as the upper left corner - so what to choose?  Someone will always be disappointed.