Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Were you actually using JHBuild to run integrated system components (gnome-shell, gnome-session)? If so, how? I was not aware that that was even possible nowadays.

When developing these components,

Sorry, trying again....

When developing components like gnome-shell and gnome-session, I've found myself working in a VM and installing directly into /usr/bin. It's the only way I'm aware of that works. (You can try /usr/local, but then you have to hack executable paths in several projects....)

Since it was already not possible to run these components with JHBuild, this does not seem like a regression to me. Tristan mentioned the future goal is to create a VM image, but one step at a time.

If you are aware of some way that you can successfully run gnome-shell or gnome-session or gdm or similar components using JHBuild, I would love to know! gnome-shell used to be possible using 'jhbuild build gnome-shell' and 'jhbuild run gnome-shell -r', but the last time that worked for me was many years ago. Even trying different combinations of undocumented args like --nested and --wayland, I've yet to see it work in recent times.

Michael