Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

mcatanzaro gnome org 於 西元2018年01月22日 21:34 寫道:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Were you actually using JHBuild to run integrated system components
(gnome-shell, gnome-session)? If so, how? I was not aware that that
was even possible nowadays.

When developing these components,

Sorry, trying again....

When developing components like gnome-shell and gnome-session, I've
found myself working in a VM and installing directly into /usr/bin. It's
the only way I'm aware of that works. (You can try /usr/local, but then
you have to hack executable paths in several projects....)

Since it was already not possible to run these components with JHBuild,
this does not seem like a regression to me. Tristan mentioned the future
goal is to create a VM image, but one step at a time.

It is not possible to run GDM, but it is possible to run gnome-shell,
gnome-session, gnome-keyring in JHBuild without the help from a display
manager. JHBuild gnome-session is the primary desktop environment on my
FreeBSD desktop machine because packages provided by FreeBSD tend to be
out of date. Features requiring GDM or polkit don't work in JHBuild, but
I don't really care them because they are not essential for basic
functionality of desktop.

If you are aware of some way that you can successfully run gnome-shell
or gnome-session or gdm or similar components using JHBuild, I would
love to know! gnome-shell used to be possible using 'jhbuild build
gnome-shell' and 'jhbuild run gnome-shell -r', but the last time that
worked for me was many years ago. Even trying different combinations of
undocumented args like --nested and --wayland, I've yet to see it work
in recent times.

Here are my steps to run GNOME session on X11 on FreeBSD.

1. Login from a text console. I usually use VT 2 to avoid seeing
messages from the kernel and daemons. It is also possible to login from
ssh, but it seems the a local session works better with ConsoleKit.

2. Run 'screen' so we can see messages sent to stdout and stderr without
switching VT. We can re-attach the screen session from gnome-terminal.

3. Run 'screen Xorg'. It will be started on VT 9 on FreeBSD.

4. Run 'screen jhbuild run env DISPLAY=:0 gnome-session'. It will prompt
for gnome-keyring password because we don't use a display manager.

It is also possible to run JHBuild GNOME session on a remote server with
TigerVNC. 'jhbuild run gnome-session' usually works for me.