Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 2:34 PM,  <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:

Were you actually using JHBuild to run integrated system components
(gnome-shell, gnome-session)? If so, how? I was not aware that that was even
possible nowadays.

Very much, I actually use a jhbuild GNOME session as my everyday
system. On a recently current system, a separate gnome-jhbuild.desktop
file in /usr/share/{x,wayland-}sessions with "Exec=jhbuild run
gnome-session" is enough to get a working session. If you want DBus
activated services from your jhbuild prefix to work as expected, the
invocation gets a bit trickier, but it's still possible.

gnome-shell used to be possible using 'jhbuild build gnome-shell' and
'jhbuild run gnome-shell -r', but the last time that worked for me was many
years ago.

Right, as noted by Bastien, you cannot swap out the display server, so
replacing the running shell only works when it is not acting as one
(i.e. not in the wayland session).

Even trying different combinations of undocumented args like
--nested and --wayland, I've yet to see it work in recent times.

That one should still work:
jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace --nested --wayland

Cheers,
Florian