Re: systemd as external dependency

Hi,

I feel like we're going down a rat hole, but...

Olav Vitters wrote:
> One small comment that perhaps remarks seen on IRC are not meant as
> negative as they might be interpreted, and now I am questioned on my
> behaviour?!?
>
> I find this pretty sad.

Well, GNOME does have a reputation for giving people a rather frosty
reception on IRC, in Bugzilla and on mailing lists. Perhaps it's worth
some introspection to ask where that reputation comes from? It didn't
materialise out of thin air.

>> perceived as "Ubuntu users can't contribute to GNOME".
>
> I never said anything like that. When Seb asked if it might be my
> belief, I clarified *immediately*.

Like I said, "can be perceived as". And certainly the way you said it
led a number of people to understand that was what you meant - that you
were advising people that if they want to develop for GNOME 3, they
should use a distribution other than Ubuntu.

Surely you can see how this perception can come about? And how it could
be taken rather badly?

> Some stuff is really too political. E.g. I can say whatever I think
> about Mandriva and I get nothing.

Well, Ubuntu has about 40 to 60 percent market share among Linux users.
Mandriva has about 40 to 60 users. There's a difference in scale.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary