Re: systemd as external dependency

On 19 May 2011 10:32, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>> So what are the criteria for deciding which platforms to drop from
>> GNOME's scope?
>>
>> This thread is making it sound like the release team is OK with
>> criteria like "whichever platforms systemd doesn't run on," which
>> would certainly seem to put Ubuntu next in line for the axe.
>
> I think you need to look at the thread again. That was never mentioned,
> and we even mentioned ways for distributions that don't use systemd as
> the init system to ship the D-Bus mechanisms.

True.  I guess I'm really just interested in an official answer to
"What are the criteria for deciding which platforms are within GNOME's
scope?"

That's obviously an iffy thing when talking about new modules, because
sometimes innovation happens in one place and other platforms get
forced to play catchup, which isn't strictly ruling out support.
Though some things you know can be ported easily, others you know
can't be.

Without some formal guidance here, I worry about a slippery slope.
And it sounds like the GNOME OS concept changed some minds about what
that guidance should be.

Olav mentioned the Linux-only issue being on the agenda for the next
Foundation meeting.

-mt