Re: systemd as external dependency

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:07:03PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le jeudi 19 mai 2011 à 12:00 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > So my conclusion is that it is better to suggest something
> > else.
>
> Well "using a ppa known to be a work in progress one" != "using Ubuntu",
> we didn't upgrade to GNOME3 because we didn't think we would do a solid
> work to integrate it on the schedule we had. The ppa is known to be
> experimental, from https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3you
> can read:

Heh? Didn't I already answer this? I noticed a lot of breakage and
unanswered questions. So for *development* advice, I wouldn't recommend
Ubuntu.

> "This package contains packages from GNOME3 and their dependencies so
> they can be used in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). This PPA is EXPERIMENTAL and
> MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. There is no downgrade process."
>
> It's fair that you don't recommend an unstable ppa but Ubuntu itself is
> shipping GNOME 2.32 and there is no reason it should create any issue
> users. Would you not recommend using Debian because GNOME3 is in
> experimental and using experimental might lead to some issues? Seems
> your statement there is just not a fair one.

Regarding Debian: I did not see anyone saying bad things about
developing on Debian, so I wouldn't advice against Debian.

Regarding Ubuntu: I did see bad things about developing on Ubuntu, so
I'd advice against it.

I'm not giving a judgement call on a distribution, the intend is giving
good advice/support for new GNOME contributors.

e.g.:
<mr.smith> I want to contribute to GNOME, how do I start?
<bkor> best to install either Fedora or Opensuse, jhbuild blah blah

or:
<mr.smith> I want to contribute to GNOME and have Ubuntu on my laptop,
how do I start?
<bkor> saw various issues with Ubuntu, suggest Fedora or Opensuse at the
moment, jhbuild blah blah

or:
<mr.smith> I want to contribute to GNOME and have Debian on my laptop,
how do I start?
<bkor> jhbuild blah blah, no idea about Debian and jhbuild, jhbuild is
difficult

In brief: I'm not going to suggest something I think would result in
unnecessary problems. I don't care if this might result in some people
thinking I have something against Canonical or Ubuntu as I don't.
--
Regards,
Olav