Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

Le 29/07/10 09:56, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:24 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
Paolo Borelli wrote:

I still would like to have a definitive description of what 2.32 apps
can and cannot use: for instance will the new glib be part of the
release (and hence gsettings etc)?

There will be both a glib and a GTK+ 2.x release in September; modules
should still be ported to use GSettings, hopefully a GtkApplication
backport will land soon in GTK+ and module are encouraged to use it.

Also the GTK+ 3 migrating story ("get your module building with gseal,
without using deprecated parts, and it will work") should still hold
true; there was a GTK+ meeting yesterday, probably they will send
minutes and a detailed status update.

In the specific case of gedit, there's the issue of libpeas, it is
really your call if you want to start using it already in 2.32.

Given that apps that wanted to port to GSettings are already ported, I
really don't see why we're advising to use GTK+ 2.x/3.x selection at
configure-time when we've been telling people to target GTK+ 3.x.

IMO the big mistake here is to have accepted modules to drop GTK2 compatibility. I told the RT to make clear that modules must keep that compatibility, but they are only realizing it now... I think we should now remember: NEVER DEPEND ON GTK VERSION THAT ARE NOT RELEASED EARLY IN GNOME SCHEDULE!!! We already had that issue in the past, and we did the same mistake again.

Speaking about my modules, I will not accept any changes to make them
work with GTK+ 2.x again, nor would I want people to waste their times
doing that.

Why? As I understand, GTK3's only advantage is to have GtkApplication, which is being backported to 2.22, right? So I don't see why you can't make a --enable-gtk3 switch in your modules. Empathy is doing that from the beginning, and it works fine.

The 2.32 story is inexistent: "Hey, you have a couple of weeks to
release something that you didn't plan for, and that didn't exist".

If I understood, the story for 2.32 is the same than what we planned to be 3.0 so far. Except:
1) modules should release with the version '2.32' instead of '3.0'.
2) gnome-shell won't be part of that release
3) modules must build with GTK 2.22, with extra bonus if they also build with 3.0.
4) did I forgot something else?

Regards,
Xavier Claessens.