Re: GNOME 3.0 in March 2011

On 07/29/2010 01:06 PM, Xavier Claessens wrote:
Speaking about my modules, I will not accept any changes to make them
work with GTK+ 2.x again, nor would I want people to waste their times
doing that.

Why? As I understand, GTK3's only advantage is to have GtkApplication,
which is being backported to 2.22, right? So I don't see why you can't
make a --enable-gtk3 switch in your modules. Empathy is doing that from
the beginning, and it works fine.

This is not so easy for some modules. Especially, those who rely on bindings and have been working toward gobject-introspection support (as gedit, totem and vinagre did, by supporting libpeas) must deal with the fact that those new bindings (or at least, pygobject's g-i support, which was the concern in gedit's case) won't see a 2.32 release.

The 2.32 story is inexistent: "Hey, you have a couple of weeks to
release something that you didn't plan for, and that didn't exist".

If I understood, the story for 2.32 is the same than what we planned to
be 3.0 so far. Except:
1) modules should release with the version '2.32' instead of '3.0'.
2) gnome-shell won't be part of that release
3) modules must build with GTK 2.22, with extra bonus if they also build
with 3.0.
4) did I forgot something else?

- pygobject with g-i support won't be part of that release
- dconf won't be part of that release
=> people won't spend time to strip those out of the modules that spent consequent resources on embracing them.

I think the release-team goal here is not to force those into stripping those 3.0-only bits, hence the agreement on the gedit plan to make just another 2.30 release with some more fixes.

Regards,
Steve Frécinaux