Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 17:35 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 16.01.09 17:12, Josselin Mouette (joss debian org) wrote:
>
> > Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 à 10:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> > > But this is not a runtime decision. Either your distro is using
> > > pulseaudio (and it should)
> >
> > Again, this cannot be a distribution choice!
> >
> > We can ship PA by default and make everything possible to get the best
> > of it, but breaking systems where it is not installed is not an option,
> > given the number of setups that don’t work with it.
>
> Hmm. Somehow I get the feeling that the only distribution where this
> really matters is Debian -- because you guys want to ship all and
> everything and leave the user the decision what he uses and what he
> doesn't. (I mean, you guys even include OSS4!) The other distributions
> do an informed decision whether they want to adopt PA or not and then
> integrate it fully or not.

not only Debian, in openSUSE we had to add a way to disable PA (which is
used by default) because some users were complaining about PA not
working on their setups. For those users, we really need to offer them a
solution, it's not only about choosing to use it or not, it is that in
some setups it seems to not work as some users want it to.

--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>