Re: Proposed module: project hamster

2008/7/30 Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>:
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.07.2008, 12:55 +0300 schrieb Kalle Vahlman:

>> > Well, "I don't think it is useful for most people" is not quite the
>> > same.  This is just that nobody I know is doing time tracking, so I
>> > consider it a niche application.
>>
>> Maybe they *should* be doing it and/or maybe they are not doing it
>> because their GNOME system doesn't have a solution ready for them...
>>
>> That said, perhaps hamster would be a better match for inclusion in the
>> office suite, since time tracking *is* mostly an "office" thing.
>
> Not true. The (non-existent) "office suite"

Right, IMO the office suite really should be formed as more concrete thing
as this list:

 http://live.gnome.org/GnomeOffice

but since I'm not about to do the work...

> would contain stuff for
> office clerks, like word processing and such. I rarely use such
> applications.

I do need to read (sometimes even write) word files and excel
sheets pretty regurarly although I don't consider myself to be an
"office clerk".

> Time tracking has much broader use. It's useful for any professional:

Yes, indeed for professionals. And professionals do need the other office
stuff too so it would be natural addition to there.

I'm not arguing that time tracking is *not* suited for desktop, I'm just
saying it probably would be a *better* match in the office suite (which,
as you point out, is a bit loose definition currently).

You can't really expand the desktop module set forever, so tighter categorizing
is needed IMO.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi