Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Le lundi 24 septembre 2007 �1:34 +0200, Ali Sabil a �it :
> > Then can you explain us how ICE can help when STUN does not ? I would
> > like to see your argumentation here.
> >
> Correct me if I am wrong, but STUN is generally about finding your
> external IP address, and determining the type of NAT you are sitting
> behind, it is just a subset of the techniques needed to achieve a
> quite reliable NAT traversal. ICE as a method, makes use of STUN among
> others. So I don't see why you oppose STUN to ICE ?

Simply because in most of the cases the "STUN part" of ICE is enough.
STUN won't work when you are behind Symmetric NAT, in that case you should use
a TURN server.

I know no public TURN server.

So there are still plenty of cases where ICE proposes a solution that does
not really help.

Although TURN will almost always provide connectivity to a client, it
comes at high cost to the provider of the TURN server. It is therefore
desirable to use TURN as a last resort only, preferring other mechanisms
(such as STUN or direct connectivity) when possible.

> > I had decided not to participate to that thread, but there are always
> > people who do not know what they are talking about. What a pity.
>
> I am sorry if I don't know what am talking about, it is just that
> Ekiga never worked reliably for me !

And did empathy allow you to do a SIP connection using ICE in a reliable
way ?
--
 _     Damien Sandras
(o-