Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On 9/24/07, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> The critical difference in that analogy is that the thousands and
> thousands of man-hours spent on Gecko are reused in the
> Gnome-ification called Epiphany. As Empathy is proposed, all the work
> in protocol implementation that has come before in the form of Ekiga
> and Pidgin appears to be thrown out the window.

I guess you never really used Ekiga? did you?

Ekiga is nowhere near user friendly, am not even sure it is HIG
compliant. It doesn't have any ICE support last time I checked, which
in other words means that it will never work reliably in a
NATed/Firewalled environment (which let me remind you is the most
common case with the proliferation of home routers).

Pidgin on the other hand is definitely not HIG compliant, and even the
library behind Pidgin (libpurple) is unusable, we can have a very long
discussions about this, but I guess this is not the main topic here.

--
Ali