Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

I read the thread - I just responded in general. But let me get a little
more specific:

>From my own perspective, I would describe the three "competing"
applications as:

Empathy is a general communications program based around Telepathy, and
meant to be well-integrated into Gnome.

Ekiga is a video/audio softphone which is already part of the Gnome
Desktop, but implements each communication protocol on its own.

Pidgin is a popular multi-protocol instant messaging appliation with no
intention to integrate deeply with Gnome (let alone become part of the
Desktop/Platform).

The main benefit here is that Telepathy is a plugin-based general
communications stack which has a lot of community and commercial support
and in my (and many other peoples') opinion a well-designed framework
which is increasingly polished and increasingly-relevant to Gnome.

Because Empathy builds on Telepathy, instead of building its own silo, I
don't think it's fair to call it a "duplication of effort". And I'd say
that the Empathy/Telepathy stack is certainly worth inclusion in Gnome
when we all decide it's polished enough.

-Travis