Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

hi;

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 23:20 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 15:48 -0500, Bryan Clark wrote:
> >> Personally I think the menu is nice and there are a number of things I'd
> >> have done differently but the main reason I see against including it is
> >> that without beagle I can't imagine using it. I tried turning off beagle
> >> and it's pretty hard to navigate your files without a places menu. Any
> >> suggestions?
> >
> > I think this example you bring up here, is a shining point of why we
> > need beagle (or tracker, or anything else) in the desktop. The fact that
> > it is hard to navigate your files without bookmarks to the folders that
> > contain them, is a pretty big usability problem, especially considering
> > that everything we care about, is a file.
>
> thats what puzzles me about the resistance tracker has encountered (okay
> its only 2 people that have objected so far which is hopefully small
> enough for the release team to ignore).

you didn't understand the argument I made in past few days about
tracker: I don't "oppose" to tracker /per se/ - I think it should wait
at least another cycle to stabilise itself, grow faster than the release
schedule (while it still can) and then be proposed for the next cycle on
the basis of what it can, not could, do.

at the moment, for instance, I would be against the inclusion of beagle
too, as it's too immature for GNOME - even though, functionality-wise,
beagle does more than tracker at the moment.

so, my strong objection to including tracker is not an absolute and set
in stone "I don't want a tracker in GNOME", but it's more like "tracker
is too young, so let's wait a cycle and see what happens".

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com