Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
Em Ter, 2007-01-09 �14:27 +0100, David Prieto escreveu:
it does not integrate deskbar and nor should it - the search should only be for applications (IE .desktop files)
I could do with just application search, but as far as I know it doesn't
even do that.

As for beagle search, I never thought it was that all that useful. After
all the search tool is right there under the places menu, why have it
twice?

Access to your bookmarked folders ("Places") with slab is slower[1], but
searching is faster and much more easily discoverable. These are two
different scenarios that cater to different computer users.

For example, some users would really benefit if they could just type
"Beatles Let it Be" or "Family vacation photos" to open a document
rather than browsing the computer file system to find them.
I can't count the times I've seen people "lose" files, and I believe
having Beagle so easily available is one of the main reasons slab did so
well in Novell's usability tests (which I haven't watched yet).

But Beagle is not in gnome, so this point is moot. I think we are really seeing that people who have Beagle like Slab, and people who don't have Beagle don't like slab...

Cheers,
Evandro

1. You can quickly access your bookmarks from Slab by launching Nautilus
(with its "Places" sidebar).

Scott.